Sunday 1 April 2018

Udaipur - the city of art

This place is my favourite so far there are art galleries, henna and paintings everywhere.i started the day by having a 2 hour painting session in which they taught a group of us how to draw and paint an animal of our choice. I chose the elephant, they don't use the same paints as we do for example acrylics or oils they make theirs using other materials for example to get yellow they use cow urine and for other colours they use gemstone powder. For the brushes they make them out of camel eyelashes or chipmunk tail hairs, he was quick to reassure us they don't harm the animals to get these pieces. They also paint on things like camel bone mixed with mother of pearl shell and silk as well as cotton.

After the art lesson I opted to have the guy do a henna tattoo on my wrist, I wanted an animal of some kind and he happened to choose an elephant it took him less than ten mins to complete the whole thing and the amount of detail that went into it is incredible.


The thing about this particular art studio is they are all local artists where the skill has come down through generations so they have been doing it such a long time that they can complete the work so quickly it's like second nature to them.
The guy who owns it also painted an image on each of our finger nails so I had a Indian woman on mine others had camels, elephants, peacocks, horses and roses, again he completed these in next to no time and with so much detail on such a small service area.


I then decided to have a palm reading at the same place, I am always a bit sceptical about things like this but decided to give it a go anyway. There were some things he said from my past he got spot on but other things he said I found a bit odd for example he told me my colour was green and I was wearing a green dress and after talking to others he had told them their colour was also the colour they were wearing. He also told me I'm going to live until I am 90 and that I will have two sons, but I think he meant to say two dogs.
The day ended with watching a dance show, which again showed off just how much talent is in this city, it wasn't like a dance show you would see anywhere else yes there was Indian dancing but there was also puppeteers where you got to see them performing their art not just the puppet while to controller was behind a screen, but the highlight was a lady who performed with pots balanced on her head the pile of pots got bigger and bigger until she had 10 balanced on her head and then she danced on broken pieces of glass.
The ride back was in a disco tuk tuk, the best one I have seen music and disco lights we were having a rave in the back.
Tomorrow we stay in udaipur for another full day so hopefully plenty more activities to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment